Eklektek is a writing repository relevant for both the diversity of the intended subjects and themes, and the philosophical aspect of thought independent of belonging. Ek is abbr for kenetic Energy; Energy stored in motion. The term lek is a type of animal mating behavior that creates a paradox within Darwinian theory... a contradiction within the "Fisherian Runaway" hypothesis explaining, among other things, the extra-ornate plumages of birds. The etymology of lek in this context is from a Swedish noun denoting pleasurable, less rule-bound games and activities, something akin to 'play'. In other fun: Logic. The smallest logic satisfying all conditions is K. Iff you enjoy weird mixed metaphors and non-sequitur then you are in the right place. Lastly, the letter K is thought to have originated from a hieroglyph of a hand, which must be found apropos to the art of writing.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Thailand

SARS: It was the year of the SARS; and that meant that airfare to Thailand was almost half the price of airfare to Hawaii. I talked my brother into going with me because I had already had enough solo adventures. It didn't take much for me to talk him into it, we both booked tickets that same day. We left in the middle of June (2003) with short lay-overs in Taipei and Hong Kong and arriving in... Whats the capital of Thailand? Haha... Thats right... its Bang-Cock. That city caused sore testicles for many a middle-schooler.



Chinatown in Bangkok: Uh, anyway, on the jet a fellow traveller recommended finding accommodation on Kao-San road... so when we arrived we went straight to Chinatown, which is nowhere near Kao-San rd. Not sure why we went to Chinatown. HAhahaha... OH-YEAH! We got a taxi directly from the airport. It pulled up right in front, in an area that boldly proclaimed "No Taxis"... We hurriedly negotiated a discount fare (Discounted from the prices the professional/licensed touts had given inside the airport building) and jumped in... off we raced, sort of, the car was on its last leg. As it sputtered and stalled down the roads I glanced at the odometer; it read 650000km. The car made it to a ferry dock in Chinatown and gave its\" last tired wheeze. We paid him his 200 baht and watched him push his taxi back down the street to a repair shop we had just passed. It started to rain so we zig-zagged through alleyways in the general direction of a hotel listed in our guidebook. As the hotel was impossible to find, and no one was on the street to ask... we just stayed at the next hotel we saw. It didn\"t have any sign, and the entrance to the lobby was in an alley so narrow that anorexics had to suck in their belly to get through. The only reason we recognized it as a hotel was because when we entered (only to get out of the rain to look at the guidebook again) we saw a lobby desk with a little bell and sign-in book. River City Guest House. No, it was the River View Guest House, never stayed at the River City Guest House. Anyway the River View Guest House was a nice, cheap place.

Around Town: We wandered around the city for a couple of days getting culturally acclimated. We did some shopping and, I am ashamed to say, my brother was much better than I was at bargaining... I theorize that I was not in the mood (I was a hell of a bargainer in India). I have decided that bargaining is the truest form of capitalism and has the advantage of allowing people with more time than money to get a good price, while letting the people with more money than time hand over some of that class inequality... I had more money than time and bargaining had lost its thrill. Or maybe I just lost my bargaining touch. So, we buy some sandals, shorts, and toiletries; and then look for 5 hours for a decent day-pack, and I end up purchasing an ugly uncomfortable military-style pack for about 10 times what it was worth and then walked 15feet around the corner of the market to see 20 tables full of just backpacks... Ahh, thats the way it goes, no wonder the salesfamily was so eager and happy to get my baht. I feel good about it though because they had the worst stall in the market and the elderly gentleman looked a bit unhealthy, so maybe it was fate. Another day we went to eat some plaa meuk (kalamari) and my brother tried the true Thai-style... I knew it was going to be spicy when the locals all gathered around to watch... HAhahaha, I won\"t say he cried, so lets just call them tears of joy over such a delicious meal, hahaha. We finally got culturallized and came up with a trip plan.

Game Plan: We decided to travel south to the beachs and then, after we soaked up the sun, back up north to the mountains. Our plan was ? I forget the original plan but we ended up in Krabi/Railei Beach after a long train ride and a short bus ride on a public/school bus. This brings up a memory of some hilarity. It began in the train station after purchasing the over-night, southbound tickets. My brother and I couldn\"t decide who should get the lower (better) bunk, so we let fate choose. My bro won the coin toss, but it wasn\"t until some hours later, when I pulled my bunk out that he discovered just what he\"d won ... a metropolis of bugs!... living on the underside of my bunk, or more to the point, his ceiling. He told me that he had bugs dropping on him all night. For the remainder of the trip he was cursed... That next morning we missed our stop on the bus ride from the train to Krabi, but that happened to both of us so it can\"t be counted as his bad-luck. In fact, the transportation curse almost rubbed off on me... almost. From the overnight bus with a jack-in-the-box seat {i gave him first choice of seating knowing that way i was assured of ending up with the better deal}, to the scooter rental with a suicidal kick-stand. Any, indeed EVERY, mode of transportation was a humorous calamity (he has only recently seen the humor). The final train ride from Ayutthaya {to Bangkok} was the crowning moment... {I joked that something would happen and we even exchanged seats... but the curse was still upon him}... as the train started off, a lady with a Pomeranian walked to his window and leaned out to wave goodbye. The dog used its\" moment of freedom to leave an unsightly present near his shoe. My bro just sat there. {Presumably contemplating what he had done to deserve such a curse.} He didn\"t say a word, didn\"t get angry or frustrated, didn\"t even bother moving to another seat. {He didn\"t even bother a glance when the steward came to clean it up.} He had finally resigned to his fate.

Krabi: We enjoyed Krabi for a couple days, the only notable thing we did/saw was the temple on the mountain-top. It was a short tuk-tuk ride to the temple that should cost maybe 30 or 35 baht... we negotiated a fare of 15 baht; explicitly saying fif-teen, one-five, each or for both? not each, together... both fifteen? O.K. fif-TEEN, you got a deal... Of course the price upon arrival became 50 and we said no and gave him 15. He threw it on the ground and yelled he didn\"t want it at all if we were going to cheat him... my brother said that was the price agreed upon and if he didn\"t want it he could give it to the monks, who were at this point standing around watching the argument unfold. The tuk-tuk driver picked up the money and sped off. Not that 35 baht was really a big deal but it was the principle of the thing. The main temple was a short tuk-tuk ride AND two-thousand steep steps up to the top... or at least it felt like two-thousand by the time I got to the top. I think the actual number was more like four-hundred. When we returned to the parking lot there were no tuk-tuks or taxis so we started walking back to town. Along the way a pickup truck stopped and offered us a ride. We accepted and climbed into the backseat. The man driving asked where we were from and my brother replied, "America". A few other niceties were exchanged and then we drove off in the general direction of Krabi. As the driver and passenger spoke and laughed with each other in Thai, we glanced at each other with a \"Was this a good idea\"...\"I don\"t know\" kind of look. A few minutes into the ride the Thai guys suddenly got quiet and the driver turned and asked if we spoke Thai. I said no, and he smiled and continued talking/laughing with the passenger... soon it became apparent that the jokes were at our expense, but it never seemed malicious and if I had to guess it was mostly of the "Dumb American" type of jokes. We were dropped off near our hotel with all attempts at compensation being refused. I guess providing the material for the jokes was payment enough. The next day we hoped aboard a boat and sputtered quite loudly around the penninsula to Railei Beach. Railei Beach: I would have loved to stay at Railay Beach for weeks & weeks. But I didn\"t. My bro and I went south to a small town on the beach near Hat-Yai. We were the only tourists there and it got boring quick. So we decided to do some sea-kayaking and when we rented the kayak we were told about an old pirate cave that could only be accessed during low tide. Super-sweet, we decided to check it out... and once we learned how to paddle the kayak in a semi-straight direction it seemed do-able.

We found the inlet to the mountain and paddled up to the entrance, but it was quite dark inside. I said lets go for it and my brother agreed. As we entered the cave, the darkness became more and more complete and the ceiling got lower and lower... and our imaginations became wilder and wilder. As we lost sight of the entrance there was a moment of panic in the blackness where we had to decide wether to continue or head back to the light. In the middle of the decision our eyes adjusted to the dark just enough to make out a faint glow ahead in the darkness. We paddled wildly toward it and entered the best pirate hideout I have ever seen... It was an old volcano tube that had sheer cliffs on all sides rising up about 300 meters and the only entrance was the low-tide cave we had just paddled through. Oops, I forgot about the Railei Beach stories... well, nevermind, too late now. So, anyway, we paddled back out before the tide began to rise and decided we\"d had enough of the coast/beach areas... Onward. All the way up north.

Chiang Mai: We hopped a bus to Hat Yai where we ate the worst lunch ever... I think they were just about to throw it away before we wandered into the restuarant. Then, for some unknown reason... hmmm, I think other tourists recommended it, we decided to ride an overnight bus back to B-kok. Also, my bro wasn\"t keen on the idea of another overnight train ride. So, after a few hours of waiting a \"few more minutes... bus is almost here\" we finally boarded and I let my brother chose his seat first. It seemed fine until we started travelling and everyone reclined their seats. Except my brother, his seat was broken. Not to say it wouldn\"t recline, but that when it was reclined it wouldn\"t lock in the reclined position... so everytime we would hit a pothole in the road he would be catapulted into the air. hahahhahaha... I could hardly sleep for laughing so much. He wanted to trade seats, and even though I felt sorry for him, well, come-on would you? We arrived in Bk around 5am and proceeded to walk a few blocks to Kau-San rd. where we splurged on a fairly nice hotel room at the D&D Inn. We didn\"t stay long, just long enough to get some supplies and have a good night of drinking... And then another train ride the next morning... might have been a few nights of drinking. Anyway we left in the morning and the trip was uneventful (as far as seating catastophes go). Chang-Mai Arrived in Chang-Mai and...

And, now so many years have passed. My brother returned to Thailand to be married, and I returned to live... Many more stories to write... give me a moment. Okay, Greg's wedding, June?2018? Phuket, Cape Panwan. Globalization complicates family matters. My brother Greg was in China with his fiance, my fiance was in Thailand, I was in California and my father was in Washington. My other brother was in Texas, but he hadn't been invited to the wedding, and although my mom had been invited there was a 0% chance she would get on a chem-trail machine that through the orwellian process of homeland security subjugation to attend. I believe Greg would have liked to have been married in San Diego where mom could have been present, but the logistics of having his fiance and his global friends move through the heavy process that is required to visit the USA was not practical. And Greg is very considerate of life's practicalities. To my delight the wedding was planned for Phuket, and I was asked to be best man. I knew I was chosen as a neutral, as best men often are, so the closer friends wouldn't feel rejected, but I was honored and proud and hoped that my reputation for emotional prose might have also been a factor in the choice. I knew I would be expected to write... 

 moving here with Bruno, Bangkok again, Phuket, Phuket Language School and those stories, Aussie Divers and all the dive stories, Covid and back to Bangkok, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Koh Lipe... NYE Phangan again... 
AH, too many stories for one post... need to separate. 

Real quick, a random compilation of Thai words you will never need to know; P-Dip = Vampire, R-rong pai = Music, Backarong = Coral, Hoi = Shell (also crude word for vagina), Pruscheti-guy-yon = November, Naam tan sai = Sugar-sand (granulated).

There are only two rules of the road here; don’t hit anything and don’t get hit by anything... the size of the vehicle you are navigating dictates which is of the highest priority. On the motorbike you watch out for every idiot trying to navigate a roundabout like they’re drifting the apex at 150km/h in a race video game. And the Lorry trucks... the rules don’t apply to them. They care neither about hitting anything, nor if anything hits them, excepting of course when a a similar sized cross loaded rickety behemoth is barreling with wildly unpredictable inertia head on to a single lane width bottleneck in the road. Then, they will take the minimal steps necessary to avoid death, and if making too minimal of corrections will avoid each other at the expense of whichever motorbikes were momentarily lapsing in the second of the two rules of the road. It isn’t all bad, there are occasionally police to sound their whistles ineffectively, yet still commandingly enough to give a mildly comfortable feeling of security, but that feeling only lasts for a minute as the traffic moves past and continues unheeded by the brief official involvement. The majority of motorcycles on the road are lacking working taillights, headlights, brakes or a combination of all three. The cars, vans, and pickups, while not in the majority, are still a powerful minority of dangerous rolling death bricks.


Skytizens. Sitting. Very quiet. Everyone focused on their own work. Yesterday was my first day, didn't accomplish much but I'm getting paid (not much) to learn wordpress & seo, so not complaining. All the employees are nice, polite, welcoming. It is so strange though, I've never been in an office so quiet, no phone calls, hushed conversations...
Technology isn't leveling the playing field, it is allowing the rich to stay powerful by purchasing their exclusivity. Spell checking apps create a sterilized and exacting formula of articulation. Before spell check the elite had to make complex linguistic rules to separate the sheep from the wolves. 
Jan sits across from me. It isn't just the language barrier, although my complete lack of Thai and everyone else's low grasp of English doesn't help the communication, but that isn't the reason for the hushed tone and lack of conversation. I can't really tell what the issue is just yet. Thai culture? Skytizens culture? Khun Save is helpful. Khun Phop shared pizza with me. Sweety, whose name is actually naam wan - sweet water... Lost the rest of my notes. I am terribly disorganized. 

Koh Lipe.Koh Lipe. I can't tell if I wrote the title as The Last Paradise, or The Lost Paradise. Either would be appropriate. It is he last paradise that is just on the edge of being lost, just barely a bastion of undiscovered and inaccessible, yet hospitable island life. Just barely. I wrote the story with mixed emotion. With the excited energy of a storyteller sharing an experience, the increasingly rare travel experience; a destination untouched and unknown (almost). At the same time I have the fear and sadness of a storyteller who realizes the story can only contribute to the final extinction of this experience.

Koh Lipe is a bit far for most weekend travellers, it's out of the way and difficult to get to, and doesn't have many of the amenities the modern insta-glamour-selfie-tourists are looking for, such as posh hotels with swanky cocktail bars and coffee shops with meticulously designed background motifs that, are actually marketed as 'instagrammable'. What it does have is a natural beauty and a feeling of a local population that is more a family than the usual servants of capitalism. Although, that isn’t quite the truth, it’s just barely the truth.


The coral reefs are still relatively pristine and uncluttered by throngs of floaty sea-shrimp shaped Chinese divers. The beaches are not shoulder-to-shoulder with orderly, crudely-bright colored beach chairs and sun umbrellas. Not covered with the blinking strobe lights at night with bars battling and powering-out beats continually cranking the volume to over-noise their neighbors beats… with the only customers who can possibly tell the difference between the sound cacophonies coming from the fancy bamboo huts/bars which vie for popularity, their identical layout somehow chosen, somehow picked by the tourists, usually on the persuasiveness of the touts yelling above the drone of bleating of… whatever the fuck that sound is, and their popularity continues based on “the first to have the crowd keeps the crowd” because despite the identicalness of the huts, the perception is the crowd shows the popularity. The owners of each hut can only assume the patrons must be choosing their competitors establishment based on the volume level of their shit-pop-edm muddled together sounds like a mix of chunky ear peanut butter and stale flat beer mixed on the slow setting of a dying blender… and I write this a kilometer down the beach, Pattaya Beach, from where the only two such huts on the island exist, and I can barely hear myself think, all I can really think is, damn, this place is already lost.


I walked by to find another beach to write. I look in at the crowd of about a dozen in one hut, and two in the other. It is mostly drunk teenagers with a few middle aged corporate escapists reliving their glory days or perhaps just wanting an environment where they have the chance to yell all their impotent complaints of the daily rat race life they have finally escaped, yelling to their colleagues what a paradise this is, yelling about the perfect beach, yelling to be heard next to the low-quality large-sized sub-woofers standing at each corner of the bamboo fence between the bamboo huts of popularity. The other two tourists in the unpopular hut just appear to be lost and I would guess were of the spineless type that just couldn’t say no to the tout that brought them in with promises of best Mai-Tai cocktails in Thailand. I didn’t make it to the another beach, it seemed that I enjoy watching the trainwreck of humanity too much. As I’m writing this I am listening to purplicious from the hut down the beach, at 1pm with a cold Leo beer that I purchased from 7-11, sitting on the traditional thai cushion triangle pillow that was left on the deck of a massage parlor that appears closed at the moment. 

The beach is of course changing, as I saw on my first night of arrival on Pattaya with the single strobe light for hundreds of square kilometers piercing the night and a series of bars fight for popularity, which ultimately means money. Fortunately, this is only one small section of the island, and seems to be a small cancer that could be extracted with some effort. It does seem to be important to note that it is a cancer. That its ase cause is the fulfilment of need of some of us fro conformity, popularity, selfish greedy desires for wealth and a perverse need to advance or whatever that means…


After going to Pattaya beach on the first night, and a bit of concern and disappointment at the reggae bar joint we went to sunrise beach and decided to stay up until, well, sunrise. We put on our bathing suits and decided to be in the ocean for the sunrise at 6am, so we try wading out at 5am, however it is low tide and knee deep for hundreds of yards… so, we carefully walk between coral lumps and spears of sea urchins… of which I still have six spine tips embedded in my fingers from my single attempt at swimming. And, there it is, am I just another damaging tourist trying to maintain a paradise and still simply ruining the environment simply by existing there? Am I the problem because, regardless of intention, I am where I shouldn’t be? How do I make it better instead of worse? Is it really any issue, being six sea urchin spines? Where can 8 billion people exist on 150 million square kilometers? That is about 50 square kilometers each. And most of that isn’t any place most of us travel, the high himalayas, antarctica, the amazon, etc. Then there is the progress and advancement of the human race that has paved a significant portion of the natural landscape we do value and travel regularly, so, we have maybe 25 square kilometers of natural area each, for our entire lives, and I bet that’s overly optimistic, and I bet we travel much more of that on average. How do I make it better instead of worse? And, is the problem really a few sea urchin spines or the attitude that you can say “it is only a few urchin spines” and carry on with life as if it doesn’t matter… and then, maybe, as the sun rises, you think, it doesn’t matter. And, maybe I don’t know

The sunrise was a sunrise. It happened but I was paying more attention to jay then to the sky. I do remember looking up at the stars, in the silence, the sound of waves, no continuous beats, no motorcycle noises at 5 am, no left over drunk people wandering loud, lost, and belligerent… and as a man who appreciates the complete disregard for self betterment, I can say there is a time and place for such things, but there also must be a place to escape from such humanity, such bad examples of our best selves. I am reminded of HST Fear Loathing LV and the cult following of such an act… yes, to push the boundaries of consciousness, of limits of restraint to do that in vegas is fitting, but to bring it to the place of refuge, this the cause of fences, of property rights, and powerful weapons to keep the mad berserkers at bay.


“Can we pretend the airplanes in the night sky are like shootin' stars?” Oh, Bob, here, on Koh Lipe, there really are more shooting stars than airplanes, ann I hope it remains that way, or else, it just becomes like every place else.


What we are really searching for is originality, and we look for it by following those who say they found it. And with that in mind, I ask you, look for your own lost paradise, because by the time you read this, find the time and money to book the trip, and then find the courage to leave that existence of slavery at your desk, if only for a week or two, when you do this, don’t come to Koh Lipe, it will already be gone as I’ve described it. Even how I’ve described it in the best tone. Go search out a place people aren’t going for the escape from people. If you are looking for the blasting music bamboo popular bars then go to those places, butr ofr thoe love of god, do not bring your money for debauchery to the holy places.


Reverence is not a thing I would recommend on most occasions. Surely not for people or technologies.

Reverence for the last vestiges of escape, the last places of solitude, of fresh discoveries of new ideas, new cultures… but not the hip-hop-pop-edm; leave that in the city. That’s what it’s there for.


I had to leave Adang Sea as they started playing “Bring Sexy BAck” and now I am back at Wapi listening to the long tails blare their combustion above the voices of the song birds in the trees. So, I go for a walk. I contemplate my wour mood and wonder if it is justifiable… Alnf the beach I take photos of people taking photos… I pretend I am somehow more entitled judging them as the kind of people who will throw their empty water bottles on the ground, or their cigarette butts into the ocean. I watch a woman pose on a paddleboard...not going anywhere, just balanced there half on the beach and half in the surf, but she is giggling and laughing and falling in the water. Who am I to judge her

I walk past her and she is covered in makeup, like a clown, stage makeup and she has needy eyes, eyes that when they meet mine they beg for attention, and I can see, clearly see she only sees herself in my eyes, she doesn’t even see me. She only … yeah who am I do judge.


I went for a run at 8;30 am next morning and paddleboard girl was out getting pictures. Not on the paddleboard any longer but on a beach chair in an overly elegant bright yellow dress with a revealing open middle section. In all it was attractive, but the contradiction from the attractive model to the trash covered beach just down the way a hundred yards was a bit hypocritical for me to feel at ease with enjoying her beauty. The only section of beach strewn with litter, (other sections had bits and pieces) the only section clearly not taken care of was the boat people area which the islands only school was set behind. At first I thought, well, they just don’t clean the high tide area as the resorts clearly must, it isn’t necessarily the boat people’s trash, and that may be true for some of the litter I witnessed, but there were too many old grease and oil cans for them to be innocent, and by percentage of trash being boat related I would say almost entirely guilty.


I wonder how it would feel to have your land taken over by resorts and tourists, and you first , you the natives, first bought out then sold out then pushed out. I would hate the beauty of it too.


The booking of the hotels was a bit complicated as it was a Thai holiday, as it so often is in Thailand, so after the first night I had to move from Wapi to the center of town, the Nest Hostel, which was lovely looking, and smelling, and appeared like a bed an breakfast homestay style place. No one else was at the hostel, perhaps due to the fact it was the same price as the Beachside hotel which I came from but it had been booked up due to our short reservation timing. After checking in... upon closer inspection it was revealed that mold had begun to creep around the room and had lightly invaded the bedsheet, pillow, and darker corners of the room. It was tolerable by sleeping head/feet reversed direction because the mildew had been strongest under the pillows and where the top sheet had been crisply folded back. Also, the room smell was not as good as I had originally thought.


The next day we moved back to the Wapi, albeit to a room a bit further back. In fact it was the furthest from the beach, bordering the dirt road and instead of the sound of waves it was the occasional motorcycle with consistent laughing and yellings of the locals as they passed by. So much happiness all around, and I can’t help but smile at the innocence and joy even as I talk about the weather with the locals and they all say it has changed dramatically these last few years. The monsoon is inconsistent, the storms are stronger, the tides and currents more unpredictable. The water is colder this year than the last few, which is good because the warmer years had been killing the coral.


The morning after Nest I sat with the owner Nok, who had bought the hotel just before Covid and waas having a bit of a difficult time keeping it kept up without the usual expected number of tourists. She talked about her motown of Chiang Mai and Switzerland, she is a dual citizen but with Covid she will stay in Thailand for the foreseeable future…


I’d forgotten the entire point of this writing was to share how beautiful the diving around Adang is, and it is beautiful. A couple days after arrival I do my 1st Adang dive and my 101st overall dive and as tradition I mike it a naked dive. I swim out with jay and them we pull our undies off and down we go. With jay naked beside me I didn’t completely focus on the coral, and abundant sea life, but, as for my nakedness I did keep an out eye o any larger fish in the near vicinity, particularly looking for any trigger fish. The dive ended without incident and I made plans to go out on the boat the next day for a proper introduction to the Adang Sea. 

The first proper dive in Adang sea was at Koh (Koh is Thai for island and pronounced more like GOh) then Koh Yan (east side) The next day I went out for 3 more dives at Talang, Honeycomb, and then Stonehenge. These were, absolutely, without doubt, the most incredible dive sites I’ve ever experienced (A picture is worth a thousand words, and yet neither pictures nor words can express the feeling of being part of such a place.)


Between the days of diving we moved to the center of the island again just next to walking street, the painted blue walkway that bans motorcycles from 6pm to midnight. The room is on the third floor, the top floor, and looks out from the balcony on a small shanty of chao-lay (sea people) with tin and thatched roofing and an antiquated satellite dish sticking up through the top side. The place is quiet at night… at least until around 2 or 3 am when the other guests come stumbling in from the bars or from Pattaya Beach. The walls are perhaps the thinnest I have encountered in my travels, and that is saying quite a bit. Conversations even at whispered volumes is distinguishable and luckily for me I don’t speak Thai so the sounds become background noise without the sleep depriving aspects of ideas. Regardless at 3 am the drunk bastards are stumbling and falling and dropping whatever bricks and stones and chunks of steel they seem to have accumulated throughout the night. If you, yourself, are drunk or tired enough then the noises are just echos in your own dreams.


Maybe this is a story about travel adventures and travel obstacles, and how you can't really tell the difference between the two. The mission was to extend my Thai visa which was nearing expiration. The immigration in Satun, the nearest office to Koh Lipe told me I must be there for an extension by Monday morning. That doesn't appear to be a difficulty as it is Friday. However, the boat booked for 2pm leaves at 1:30 just as we arrive at the pier. Luckily, there is one more ferry at 4pm.


The last day. Get up late. Heavily rested. Too rested. Do errands and tag along with jay as she says goodbyes and I say goodbyes as well, but different levels of sweet sorrow as I’ve only been on the island ten days. Not what you’d call a local or resident expat, or even extended tourist.. The motorcycle taxi price is per person which is a bit bullshit since it’s the same two minute ride, and the idea should be to split the fare as more people join the ride, but since the total cost is only $3 it doesn’t seem worth bitching about it. I do though. Maybe it is so much sleep. Need to redirect that energy toward the boat company, which chose to leave ½ before schedule without notice, so when we arrived we able to relax and sit down, no hurry, island life… I shouldn’t bring city life attitude to the island. Still, my frustration at such inept scheduling, and the associated costs to me (The associated costs being that for some inexplicable reason the minibuses at my destination, Satun, stop running before the last ferry arrives). For those not in the know, a minibus is a pickup truck, usually a mini by western standards that have crudely built bench seats in the back, they are usually private run and go wherever the crowds are. The only reason I can guess they stop running before the last ferry, indeed it is only the last ferry they are not around for, is they made an arrangement with the taxi companies. They get most the daily passengers but for the last ferry all the tourists will be without option and have to take the taxi, which for perspective run $30 as compared to $3 for the minibuses. Still, the waves are soothing and I have half a joint left in my bag, so, I’m going to relax at the beach for the next two hours until the boat arrives.


In Satun. The minibuses, and buses, and everyone except the taxi vans and personal vehicles have indeed stopped running. Adang Sea managers sister was on the boat with us and was kind enough to drive us to Satun proper, which was extraordinary nice of her considering it was almost and hour detour out of her way. 


We checked in to the Satun Thanee hotel across from immigration, and although it looked clean and was clean it smelled so strongly of moth balls that we opened the door, the window, turned the A/C and bathroom fan on and evacuated to the empty ‘restaurant area’ next to reception about 10 minutes. When we returned it still stunk but we figured just for the one night, no big deal. However, immigration informed me that the paperwork for my visa extension must be filed on the 30th, today, even though the serent who would sign off on it might not be back for a few days. Up to two weeks. I was upset for a minute, especially when I noticed they used another visa page to stamp “Visa Under Approval” Taking up the whole page, and thereby leaving me with only two visa pages left. And, you know what they’ll do if I don’t have visa pages? Refuse to give me my next extension. Volgons. Ah, but, there are some aspects to all situations I do have some control over. So, off to explore.


Off to Baan Suan. Then to Hat Yai where we wait for the landslides from the off season monsoon to be cleared. The whole city of Hat Yai is closed, a ghost city, Jeang restaurant near the school is open, taxi drivers very aggressive, we are the only two tourists in the city.









No comments: